It's Wednesday and I am still in bed, dressed and ready for my day to start. We got a new bed, a bigger one for our three dogs, and silly sheets with ostriches on them. Mornings are my favorite around here, as I'm sure you can tell these days.
So here's a short post as I get my day started. Panko-crusted french toast, because I'm all about a fun take on a classic.
Almond and Panko-Crusted French Toast
I thought I was so clever when I "invented" this, but then I realized that the Pioneer Woman had already done something like this. Ya win some, ya lose some.
- 3 eggs
- 1 TB pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 TB cinnamon
- 1 loaf of hearty bread (I used store bakery Italian here)
- Preheat oven to 400*F
- Prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
- Lay out two shallow pans
- In the first one, whisk together your eggs, extracts, and milk
- In the second, whisk together your dry ingredients
- Now, take a slice of bread, dip it in the wet mixture for just a second and then press gently into the dry on both sides
- Arrange on the prepared baking sheet
- Repeat with remaining bread slices
- Bake for 15 minutes; turn over and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until golden brown and crisp
- Serve immediately with maple syrup or your favorite French Toast accourtrmement